This page provides you with useful information and software downloads for the Ashling Opella-XD for ARC and Ultra-XD for ARC debug and trace tools which support Synopsys DesignWare® ARC® Processors.
Please contact our Technical Support team if you need help on Ashling hardware or software tools.
Ashling ARC Tools Overview
Ashling Product Brief APB177 provides a getting started guide, tools overview and shows the recommended target debug (JTAG) connections.
Using Ultra-XD Trace Probe Connector for Synopsys DesignWare Processors with MetaWare Debugger
Ashling Product Brief APB219 provides an introduction to using the Ultra-XD Trace Probe with the Synopsys MetaWare Debugger.
WHITE PAPER on Real-time trace – a better way to debug embedded applications
This joint Ashling and Synopsys whitepaper presents the concept of debugging with ‘real-time trace’ hardware assistance and shows its benefits, including how it can vastly reduce the amount of time needed to track down problems in the code. The paper also introduces the other benefits available with a real-time trace system, such as hot-spot profiling and code coverage.
VIDEO on Debugging with ARC Real-Time Trace
In this video you can watch Tom Pennello, Principal R&D Engineer at Synopsys explain how to use Ultra-XD for Trace Capture, Trace Filtering, Program Profiling and Trace Replay for single and multi-core based systems.
©2015 Synopsys, Inc. All rights reserved.
Opella-XD Debug Probe, v1.2.8, 23-Feb-2020:
- 32-bit(x86) and 64-bit(x64) Opella-XD software binaries now available. MetaWare Development Toolkit 64-bit binaries are available from v2019.12 onwards only (64-bit binaries are stored in MetaWare\arc\bin64).
- RTCK timeout settings are now configurable from the Opella-XD configuration interface.
- Improved scan-chain auto-detect feature.
- libusb in Windows now updated to version 1.0.23 (the Opella-XD USB driver will be automatically updated during Windows install).
- Linux CentOS 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) now supported (see user manual for installation details).
- User manual updated.
Ultra-XD Debug and Trace Probe, v1.0.8, 28-Aug-2020:
- Further improved support for Synopsys ARC Trace (ARCT) and DesignWare Trace (DWT) with single and dual x8-bit NEUX AUX port(s) support. Fixed an issue were Ultra-XD sometimes returned the incorrect number of captured frames when it was configured for ARCT single x8-bit port.
- Ultra-XD supports both Double-Data Rate (DDR, i.e. trace data is emitted from the ARC core on the rising and falling edge of the trace clock) and Single-Data Rate (SDR). Ultra-XD also provides a mechanism called AUTOLOCK which allows automatic skew adjustment of trace data/clock lines to provide better integrity of parallel trace data captured. Ashling recommend that you enable AUTOLOCK when using DDR. AUTOLOCK is not used (this setting is ignored) when using SDR.
- This release includes updated v1.0.8 Ultra-XD firmware. Please ensure your Ultra-XD is updated to use this version.
- “Enable DDR” and “Trace Clock ratio” are now removed from the “Ashling Ultra-XD for ARC Configuration” dialog (these settings can be set within MDB in the “Configure producer and RTT capture” dialog as “DDR_EN” and “Clock Divide”).
- Aligned Linux and Windows UI.
- Updated user manual.
Please fill the form below to request your Download Password
Debug & Trace Probe
(32-bit binaries only)
(32-bit binaries only)
Note: Ultra-XD currently has 32-bit binaries only